首页 > >
Guizhou FC's future in doubt after players threaten to sue over unpaid wages******
BEIJING, Nov. 5 (Xinhua) -- The future of China's second-tier Guizhou FC is rumored to be in doubt after senior players threatened to lodge a lawsuit against the club over unpaid salaries.。
A letter signed by 27 Guizhou players emerged on Thursday night claiming that the club owed them as many as 14-and-a-half months' wages on top of sizable bonuses dating back to 2019.。
The players said in the letter that they had been tricked into signing documents at the beginning of this year to prove that they had been paid in full, so as to gain permission from the Chinese Football Association to play in this season's league.。
"We intend to uphold our legitimate rights and interests by resorting to legal means, and look forward to relevant authorities doing us justice," the players said in the letter.。
Guizhou player Zhao Hejing said that the club even could not afford a proper field for its players to train.。
"We had to work out in gyms or on cement road to maintain fitness," he said.。
The players said they will not play for Guizhou FC when the league resumes in a week's time, unless they get paid.。
The Guiyang-based club, which had reportedly dished out 10 million yuan (around 1.56 million U.S. dollars) in cash per game to inspire its players to victory in 2018 when they were struggling in the Chinese Super League (CSL) under Gregorio Manzano, has all but been put out of business, according to Chinese media.。
The club was banned by FIFA at the end of the 2020 season from introducing or registering any players for three years after they refused to pay 3.8 million euros in compensation to Manzano, who was sacked in June 2018 after guiding the club to only one win in 11 games.。
According to analysis from Chinese football journalist Bai Guohua, Guizhou FC will be left to fold with its debt, and a new club will be built, free of debt, to compete in China's four-tier league with the hope of playing in the CSL one day. Enditem。
Huang/Zheng claim women's doubles title at Denmark Open******
ODENSE, Denmark, Oct. 24 (Xinhua) -- Chinese shuttlers Huang Dongping and Zheng Yu beat second seeds Lee So-hee and Shin Seung-chan of South Korea here on Sunday to claim the women's doubles title at the BWF Denmark Open.
The newly-paired Huang and Zheng continued to surprise since shocking Tokyo Olympic champions Greysia Polii and Apriyani Rahayu of Indonesia in the quarterfinal. They won the final in straight sets 21-15, 21-17.
"I'm really happy to win the title with my new partner. Frankly speaking, I did not expect to go as far as the final, or even to win the title," said Zheng. "I was very surprised to win the matches one after another. The coach and Huang have always given me confidence to keep fighting. I tried many new tactics in the final and they worked."
Having collected Sudirman Cup, Uber Cup and Denmark Open titles, Huang had won all her matches except the mixed doubles semifinal.
Huang told Xinhua she hoped to challenge herself to see if she could continue to improve after three consecutive tournaments.
"Honestly, I think I can go on fighting. I'm always thinking how to play the game under exhausting scenarios," said the Tokyo Olympic mixed doubles champion.
"It was a perfect tour for me in the past few weeks, though I lost the mixed doubles semifinal here in Odense," added Huang. "But winning most of the games is actually the proof of my power. I'm lucky to win these titles."
Elsewhere, Tokyo Olympic champion Viktor Axelsen shone at Odense Sports Park by beating world No. 1 men's singles player Kento Momota 20-22, 21-18, 21-12 in their final clash.
"Obviously Kento is really strong opponent, a fantastic player. The first set was tough for me mentally and physically. I thought I should take the chance to grab the first set, but Kento played a really stable game," said the Dane.
"In the second set, I was thinking, 'Oh no, not again.' But then Kento was a little bit relaxed in the second set and struggled a little bit in the third," added the Odense-born shuttler. "It goes up and down in a match like this one when you are so close and playing against a great player."
The 27-year-old told Xinhua that beating Kento in the final on home soil was a dream come true. "After the Olympics, I could have laid back a little bit, but my goal is to reach the highest level I can."
Elsewhere, Japanese shuttlers dominated the finals by winning the women's singles, the men's doubles and the mixed doubles.
An Se-young took the first set 21-18 against second seed Akane Yamaguchi, who fought back and took a nail-biting second set 25-23. The fifth-seeded South Korean retired while trailing 16-5 in the decider to Yamaguchi.
Takuro Hoki and Yugo Kobayashi smashed Denmark's Kim Astrup and Anders Skaarup Rasmussen 21-18, 21-12 to win the men's doubles title.
Fourth-seeded mixed doubles pair Yuta Watanabe and Arisa Higashino overwhelmed second seeds Dechapol Puavaranukroh and Sapsiree Taerattanachai of Thailand 21-18, 21-9. Enditem
Russia opens humanitarian corridors in Ukraine******
Russia announced new "humanitarian corridors" on Monday to transport Ukrainians trapped under its bombardment – to Russia itself and its ally Belarus.
The announcement came after two days of failed ceasefires to let civilians escape the besieged city of Mariupol, where hundreds of thousands of people are trapped without food and water, under bombardment and unable to evacuate their wounded.
The new "corridors" would be opened at 10am Moscow time from the capital Kiev and the eastern cities of Kharkiv and Sumy, as well as Mariupol, Russia's defense ministry said.
According to maps published by the RIA news agency, the corridor from Kiev would lead to Belarus, while civilians from Kharkiv would be permitted to go only to Russia. Russia would also mount an airlift to take Ukrainians from Kiev to Russia.
"Attempts by the Ukrainian side to deceive Russia and the whole civilized world ... are useless this time," the ministry said.
A spokesperson for Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy called the move "completely immoral" and said Russia was trying to "use people's suffering to create a television picture."
"They are citizens of Ukraine, they should have the right to evacuate to the territory of Ukraine," the spokesperson said.
"This is one of the problems that is causing the humanitarian corridors to break down. They seem to agree to them, but they themselves want to supply humanitarian aid for a picture on TV, and want the corridors to lead in their direction."
Since Russia announced a special military operation against Ukraine on February 24, the two sides have had two rounds of negotiations in neighboring Belarus in search of a solution to the crisis, with no clear breakthrough in the first one and an agreement to open a humanitarian corridor to evacuate civilians during the second one on Thursday.
"We are ready to discuss some non-NATO models ... We are open to discuss such things in a broader circle, not only in bilateral discussions with Russia, but also with other partners," David Arakhamia, a member of the Ukrainian delegation said.
Arakhamia said NATO countries are not ready to discuss having Ukraine in the organization.
"The response that we are getting from the NATO countries is that they are not ready to even discuss having us in NATO, not for the closest period of five or 10 years. We would not fight for the NATO applications, we would fight for the result, but not for the process," said Arakhamia.
Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Sunday his country is ready for dialogue with the Ukrainian authorities and foreign partners.
Putin made the remarks in a phone conversation with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, during which the Russian president also expressed the hope that the representatives of Ukraine will take a more constructive approach during the planned next round of negotiations.
The assault has sent more than 1.5 million Ukrainians fleeing abroad, and triggered sweeping sanctions that have isolated Russia in a way never before experienced by such a large economy.
Russia denies targeting civilians. It calls its campaign a "special military operation" to disarm Ukraine and arrest leaders it calls neo-Nazis.
The general staff of Ukraine's armed forces said Russian forces were "beginning to accumulate resources for the storming of Kiev," a city of more than 3 million, after days of slow progress in their main advance south from Belarus.
While Russia's advance in the north on Kiev has been stalled for days with an armored column stretching for miles along a highway, it has had more success in the south, pushing east and west along the Black and Azov sea coasts.
About 200,000 people remained trapped in Mariupol, most sleeping underground to escape more than six days of shelling by Russian forces that has cut off food, water, power and heating, according to the Ukrainian authorities.
About half the people in the city were due to be evacuated on Sunday, but that effort was aborted for a second day when a ceasefire plan collapsed as the sides accused each other of failing to stop shooting and shelling.
Chinese yuan weakens to 6.3952 against USD Monday******
BEIJING, Nov. 22 (Xinhua) -- The central parity rate of the Chinese currency renminbi, or the yuan, weakened 127 pips to 6.3952 against the U.S. dollar Monday, according to the China Foreign Exchange Trade System.。
In China's spot foreign exchange market, the yuan is allowed to rise or fall by 2 percent from the central parity rate each trading day.。
The central parity rate of the yuan against the U.S. dollar is based on a weighted average of prices offered by market makers before the opening of the interbank market each business day. Enditem。